The best commode chair over toilet provides extra support to the elderly as well as those recovering from knee or hip surgery. In other words, a commode chair over toilet is designed to make the life of those with restricted mobility very convenient and much easier. Premium brands come complete with a pail, a lid for the pail, and a splash guard. Moreover, they are very comfortable to sit in and are well sized to help prevent any mess. They allow seniors and patients to maintain some independence when answering the call of nature. In these reviews, we introduce you to the best brands, so you can know exactly what to go for should you decide to buy one.
View the Best Commode Chair Over Toilet in Reviews
1. Drive Medical Folding Bedside Commode
You will enjoy maximum convenience if you go for the Drive Medical Folding Bedside Commode. It opens and folds easily as well as folding flat to allow for convenient transportation and storage. Moreover, this bedside commode comes complete with a 6-quart commode bucket featuring a carry handle splash shield, and cover. It also features an elastic cord that will let you fold its legs to reduce its size, so you can transport it with ease. Its frame is coated and made of steel to increase its strength and durability. The seat dimensions of this commode chair over toilet are 15 inches deep by 13.5 inches wide by 16.5 – 22.5 inches high.
- Makes a great gift for someone with mobility issues
- Safe and convenient to use
- The chair is sturdy and stable
- The lid helps to contain odors
- The seat is well sized and fits many
- The 350-pound weight capacity is questionable
2. Drive Medical Bedside Commode Seat with Commode Bucket and Splash Guard
We don’t think there is a commode chair over toilet that can go toe to toe with this model from Drive Medical. It comes with an innovative frame, which can be configured to create a bedside commode, elevated toilet seat, toilet safety frame or commode chair over toilet. The commode chair also features tool-free removable back that further makes it easy to configure for any application. Furthermore, this thoughtfully-designed chair has armrests, which improve comfort not to mention providing a safe place to grab when standing. In short, the armrests make it much easier to sit and stand from this chair. The manufacturer includes a 7.5-quart commode bucket with cover as well as splash guard on every purchase of this product.
- Arrives in a timely manner
- Not too hard to put together
- Lightweight; hence, easy to move around
- The seat is surprisingly thin; thus, may not hold up well
3. Medline G30213-1F Bedside Commode/Toilet Seat/Safety Rails – All in One
Another product that is really doing well when it comes to versatility is the Medline G30213-1F model. It can be used as a bedside commode, safety rails or toilet seat. That being said, you will really save a lot when you buy it, given that it is all in one. Well, it is not just its versatility that makes it one of the best in the market but also its folding frame design. The well-thought-out design takes just seconds to assemble and requires no tools for assembly. It enables the commode chair over toilet to fold down in order to reduce storage space by 35-percent. By so doing, the design makes the chair very easy to transport or store.
- Works great for people recovering from a hip surgery
- Comfortable, lightweight, and sturdy
- The bucket comes with a handle for easy carrying
- The price is great for anyone on a limited income
- The seat is smaller than expected
4. Medline Padded Drop-Arm Commode
This heavy-duty padded commode chair over toilet is the perfect purchase for individuals using a wheelchair. It has a weight capacity of 300 pounds and the height of its seat ranges from 18.25” – 23.25”, while its depth is from 18” – 20”. Other dimensions include 18.5” – the width between arms and 22” – the overall width. The arms of this commode swing down with a push of a button. Ideally, the commode chair over toilet has thick and resilient foam padded back and seat that offer increased comfort. Plus it is equipped with foam handgrips that will not slip even when wet. You or your loved one will be able to use this commode chair for years to come because it is built with heavy-duty construction.
- The height is adjustable
- Very comfortable; has padded back and seat
- Easy to pack when you are on the go
- The bucket is too small to cover the entire seat opening, making it a bit tricky to do #1 and #2 simultaneously
5. NOVA Medical Folding Commode, Comes with Splash Guard/Bucket/Lid
You can use this versatile 3-in-1 folding commode as a raised toilet, stand-alone commode over the toilet or toilet support rails. It is a convenient unit that will make your life much better than ever before. Its height steel frame is adjustable, so you can easily find the desired height level for comfortable use. What’s more, this folding commode comes with a bucket, which, in turn, comes with a lid and a splash guard. And when you want to travel with it or store it, simply fold it. Well, it folds and unfolds in seconds to make sure you are never inconvenienced. The commode chair over toilet works for most people since it has a weight capacity of 300 pounds yet weighs just 14.5 pounds.
- Easy to clean and set up
- The price is right
- Can be raised higher without compromising safety or stability
- A little narrow between the arms; hence, may not be so great for someone who is not skinny
6. Duro-Med DMI Bedside Commode Chair
The weight capacity of this commode chair is almost second to none. That’s why we are confident that it will get the job done for you. The commode chair over toilet is FSA eligible and supports up to 500 pounds. It conveniently adjusts to your desired height from 16-1/2” to 23-1/2” in 1” increments. The width between the safety frame arms is 23 inches and the width between the legs is 24 inches, while the Depth (D) is 17 inches. This bedside commode chair weighs 19lbs despite having such an impressive weight capacity. Furthermore, it comes with a 7-quart pail with handle and lid for easy use. Its seat is extra wide and has support arms to provide you with a sturdy platform and maximum stability.
- The handles provide extra support
- The seat is comfortable
- Sturdy and easy to move
- Great for the price
- The height is easy to adjust
- Not so great for a large person
7. Duro-Med DMI Shower Transport Chair
Duro-Med has backed this commode chair over toilet with a lifetime warranty. And, in our opinion, that is a good deal, which you should not let slip through your hands. We are also thrilled by the fact that the transport chair has a backrest made of waterproof PVC. With that said, you will have zero problems getting it clean after use. Ideally, this transport chair is designed with portability in mind. Well, this can be proven by the lightweight construction, which sees it weigh just 18 pounds. Besides, the chair has a convenient overall size, which measures 24” by 22” by 34”. Its seat is also well sized and it measures 16” by 16”.
- Rolls easily over a standard toilet
- Well made and very convenient
- Works well for the price
- Very easy to assemble
- The back wheels lock for safety
- Comes with good instructions, and it is easy to clean
- The bar on the back could be positioned better
8. Drive Medical Bariatric Folding Commode
This folding commode chair over toilet is a steal for the price. And we’ll tell you why. First, it has an amazing weight capacity of 650 pounds. As such, it is the go-to product for large persons. Second, this folding commode chair is well sized. That being said, the width between its arms is 24 inches, the width of its outside legs is 31.75 inches, and the seat to floor height is 15.5 – 22 inches. In addition, the chair comes complete with a 12-quart commode bucket, which, in turn, comes with a cover, splash shield, and handle for easy carry. The commode chair also has plastic armrests, which improve comfort. It opens and folds effortlessly for easy transportation and storage.
- Works great in hunting camps, RV’s, tents, campers, motel travels etc
- Requires very little cleanup
- Super sturdy and works great for those who can barely stand
- The metal legs are height adjustable
- Not the most comfortable
9. Medline MDS89664KDMB 3-in-1 Bedside Commode
Medline has infused microban antimicrobial protection into the craftsmanship of this commode chair over toilet. And we think that is a good idea. We are also delighted by the fact that this bedside commode is 3-in-1. Needless to say, it can be used as an elevated toilet seat, toilet safety rails or a standard bedside commode. It is a complete unit that comes with a pail, lid and splash guard, and toilet paper holder. Its weight capacity is 350 pounds, meaning it works for most people. Besides, the commode chair is very easy to travel with because it weighs 14.5 pounds. Plus it is very easy to put together with no tools required.
- Fits perfectly over most toilets
- The customer service is great
- The quality is outstanding
- Easy to assemble and works nicely after that
- Can be used as a toilet seat riser, a bath seat or a commode
- The seat could be wider
10. Vive 3 in 1 Bariatric Bedside Commode
Since the Vive 3-in-1 Bariatric Bedside Commode is designed with a durable stainless steel frame, expect it to be exceptionally sturdy. It arrives pre-assembled, and this means you will not have a difficult time putting it together upon delivery. It has a weight capacity of up to 550 pounds. And this is because of the corrosion-resistant stainless steel construction. Although the construction is super sturdy and works really well, it is incredibly lightweight, thereby, making it easy to move the bedside commode. The leg height is adjustable from 14.5” – 20” to provide you with individual comfort. Ideally, the commode chair comes with a 6qt. capacity pail as well as a splash guard and a lid for covering the pail.
- Very easy to snap together
- The strength of materials is excellent
- Folds easily for storage
- Perfect for people recovering from knee surgery and have restricted mobility
- The seat is small for a large person
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Commode Chair Over Toilet
Before you go, take a look at the following factors.
Ease of Cleaning
It is important that a commode chair over toilet stay fresh and super clean. Having said that, consider a unit that is made of easy-to-clean materials like PVC.
Shape & Size of the Opening
The opening on the seat area should be well sized for convenient use. It should not be too small to the extent that it makes it impossible to do #1 and #2 at the same time. Also, the shape of the opening should be oblong for ease of use.
Choose a commode chair over toilet with a weight capacity that exceeds yours. Well, this will increase the lifespan of the chair, thereby, making sure you are able to use it for years to come.
Size of the Bucket
The bucket that comes with your commode chair should be as large as possible. This will help improve convenience as well as reducing clean frequency.
Whether you are a caregiver or having a loved one with limited mobility, the above commode chairs over toilet should be a frontier for you. They may have minor drawbacks but that does not make them irrelevant. So, be keen to read the reviews and buyer’s guide then pick one you believe will work a treat for your loved one or patient.