Whether you’re a carpenter, a mechanic, an electrician, or even a repairman, the tools you use are the most important part of your career. But carrying those tools around for outdoor jobs requires portability to a whole new level. While your regular old tool belt might get you so far, it restricts you from carrying all the necessary tools required to complete a job properly. That’s where portable tool boxes come in. Although most of these products look quite compact, they certainly deliver in storage space and easy transportation. Here’s a look at the top 10 portable tool boxes available online.
Check out lists of the Best Portable Tool Boxes in 2019 Reviews
1. Stanley STST19410 One-Latch Toolbox, 19-Inch, Black
The name Stanley is one of the biggest in the tool industry and their STST19410 tool box stands out for all the right reasons. It comes with a one-hand latch mechanism which makes it easy to open with one hand so that you can reach for your tools while one hand is occupied. It also closes automatically when not in use. On the top of the tool box, there are two storage compartments that can house small parts such as screws, nails, and more. It is made in China and consists of high quality materials for extreme durability. It is 19 inches in length and weighs just 3.9 pounds.
- Wide handle with soft grip.
- Large space for more storage.
- Removable tray.
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- The lid doesn’t close properly.
- Cannot carry a lot of weight.
2. DeWalt DWST17806 TSTAK VI Deep Box
DeWalt is a world renowned tool brand and the DWST17806 TSTAK VI Deep Box is probably one of their most popular products. It provides maximum storage while maintaining its compact size. All the tools can be stored on top of one another to ensure that you’re always carrying everything you need. The flexible platform ensures that all your tools fit perfectly and safely. The metal side latches keep everything in place. This tool box can hold up to 44 pounds and weighs just 5.86 pounds. It also has an electric source that lets you use electric tools and other power tools through the tool box.
- Removable tray on the inside.
- Hinges and latches are strong.
- Flexible platform.
- Wheels break easily.
- Limited compartments for storage.
3. Plano Molding 1354 Stow N Go Tool Box
Plano Molding’s 1354 Stow N Go tool box is both affordable and efficient. It is colored sandstone and graphite gray. There are a total of four partitioned stowaways that can store a number of different tools and other equipment. Each of the stowaways is clear which allows you to see where your tools are. The plastic used in the product is of high quality which makes it extremely impact resistant. The tool box is small-sized and weighs just 2.73 pounds and offers a lot of storage space. The top of the tool box opens up for added storage as well.
- Conveniently sized.
- Storage compartment under the lid.
- Made from high-quality plastic.
- Unable to store larger tools.
- Cannot carry heavy loads.
4. Stanley 028001L 28-Inch Structural Foam Tool Box
Another one of Stanley’s products and the 028001L 28-Inch Structural Foam Tool Box. Better known as the FatMax, this portable tool box really delivers. At 28 inches in length, it can store a large number of tools easily. There is also a tray that covers 3/4 of the box so that you can have all your small items within reach while the large tools are stored under that. With a unique watertight seal around the tool box, your precious tools are safe from rust. To keep your tools even safer, the box comes with a padlock eye that is attached to heavy-duty metal latches.
- Large 28-inch storage capacity.
- Removable half tray for larger items.
- Latches are rust-resistant.
- Limited organized storage.
- Brittle latches.
5. Stack-On SHB-16 16-Inch Multi-Purpose Steel Tool Box
The Stack-On SHB-16 16-Inch Multi-Purpose Steel Tool Box is a classically designed product that comes with a padlock eye on the front and a heavy-duty metal latch. It also has a removable tray for quick storage and is completely nickel plated for added durability. It is 16 inches in length and can house almost all tools inside it. This tool box weights only 5.15 pounds which makes it relatively lightweight. Thanks to the added nickel coating, this metal tool box is absolutely rust-resistant which in turn, protects the tools inside.
- 16-Inch storage compartment.
- Weighs just 5.15 pounds.
- Rust-resistant body and handle.
- Shallow tray restricts storage capacity.
- Easily scratched or dented.
6. BOSTITCH BTST19802 Rolling Tool Box
Probably one of the best portable tool boxes available, the BOSTITCH BTST19802 Rolling Tool Box is a definite winner. It separates into 2 parts – the upper tool box with a drawer and the bottom bin which also has a drawer. It can hold up to 70 pounds and has 7-inch hard rubber wheels for convenient transportation. The ball bearing slides used in each of the parts are heavy-duty and ensure smooth movement always. Although it weighs a little more than other portable tool boxes, at 18.85 pounds, it is quite easy to carry.
- Ball bearing slides are sturdy and durable.
- The handle is easy to grip and robust.
- Lots of storage space.
- The bottom drawer is difficult to open.
- No tray for compartmentalized storage.
7. Tradesman Pro Rolling Tool Bag
The Tradesman Pro Rolling Tool
Bag from Klein Tools is a unique but useful product. While most tool boxes are made from metal or plastic, this product is actually made from 600D polyester. The bag comes with 24 pockets which can store a large number of tools easily. The interiors are colored orange so that the tools inside can be easily seen. The interiors are also wide and deep so as to accommodate larger tools comfortably. At 19 pounds, this tool box might not be the lightest, but it surely will get the job done.
- Sturdy 6-inch wheels.
- Weather resistant molded kick plate.
- Can carry up to 100 pounds.
- Difficult to stay organized.
- Front legs break easily.
8. XtremepowerUS Tool Bag Organizer
With the XtremepowerUS Tool Bag Organizer, you can’t go wrong. It is made from polyester and is completely water -resistant. This feature keeps your tools and other equipment dry at all times. The sturdy handle and large hard wheels make maneuvering easy. The tool bag has a big mouth and double zippers which makes storing equipment and tools easy. There are a total of 10 internal storage pockets and 9 external ones. It is 18 inches in length and can house large tools as well. It weighs 13 pounds and offers great portability.
- Made from high-quality materials for long lasting durability.
- The bag comes with dual zippers for increased protection.
- Increased storage space.
- Velcro cover doesn’t close completely when full.
- Polyester starts tearing with excessive use.
9. Beta C41H Two Module Tool Trolley
The Beta C41H Two Module Tool Trolley is, by far, one of the best portable tool boxes available in the market. Its frame is made from durable sheet metal while the tops are made from sturdy plastic. The handle is a telescopic one and is made from lightweight but sturdy aluminium which offers maximum maneuverability. The storage capacity is quite large and has a number of compartments for better organization. The entire tool box can be separated into two parts for easier portability – a regular sized tool box and a large lower cabinet with separate drawers.
- Side lock for lower compartment.
- Large castors for better transportation.
- Durable build.
- Quite heavy at 46.3 pounds.
- The price tag is rather high.
10. DeWalt DWST20880 Multi-Level Rolling Mobile Work Center
DeWalt is a known name in the tool industry and the DWST20880 Multi-Level Rolling Mobile Work Center is one of their best. It has a single latch that can be pulled up for easy and quick access. The handle is reinforced and is a telescopic one which increases durability while the large wheels are made for better maneuverability. There is also a lot of storage space for small and large tools. Weighing just 25.1 pounds, this tool box is truly a portable option for anyone.
- Organized storage for all tools and equipment.
- Made from high-quality plastic and metal.
- Affordable and extremely portable.
- Lower compartments don’t open completely.
- The plastic frame is prone to chipping and breaking.
So, there you have it. The 10 best portable tool boxes available right now. While some offer affordability, others offer maximum storage. Depending on the type of work you do, choosing any of these toolboxes becomes quite easy. With some of the biggest names in the industry, you can’t go wrong with the above-mentioned products.