If you are tired of large pores or want to control excess oil on your face, then going for a primer for oily skin would make a big difference. These primers are specially formulated to help give your face a smooth feel and prepare it for makeup application. In this compilation, we provide you with the top 15 best primers for oily skin in 2018 reviews to help you get the best product effortlessly. We also provide you with a shopping guideline as well as a Q & A section to make sure you make an informed decision before you decide to buy a primer for oily skin.
Table of Contents
- Grab one of The Best Primer for Oily Skin
- 15. bareMinerals Originals Prime Time Foundation Primer
- 14. bareMinerals Prime Time Brightening Foundation Primer
- 13. Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Prime Makeup
- 12. e.l.f Studio mineral infused face primer
- 11.Temptu Base Smooth and Matte Primer
- 10. Clinique – SuperPrimer Universal Face Primer
- 9. Banila Co. Prime Primer Classic Matte
- 8. Paula Dorf Perfect Primer
- 7. SACHA Mattifier and Face Primer
- 6. BECCA Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
- 5. Smashbox 3.9 Fluid Ounce Primer Water
- 4. Skindinavia 8 Fluid Ounce Finishing Spray
- 3. Bare Escentuals Original Foundation Primer
- 2. Smashbox 1 Ounce Foundation Primer (Photo Finish)
- 1. BENEFIT POREfessional 0.75 oz. Face Primer
- How to Choose the Best Primer for Oily Skin
- What We Recommend:
- Which is the best primer for oily skin?
- What are the best products to use for oily skin?
- Which primer is best?
- What does a primer do to your face?
- What can you do for oily skin?
- Which cosmetic brand is the best for oily skin?
Grab one of The Best Primer for Oily Skin
15. bareMinerals Originals Prime Time Foundation Primer
This primer comes in a set of two tubes that are 0.5 oz each. This primer is designed to help extend the life of your foundation, making your makeup look last longer through the day. It contains plant extracts, antioxidants and the vitamins C & E to help soothe skin and give a fresh appearance. This product does not contain preservatives or harsh ingredients that often irritate the skin. It also has extract from the aloe plant which can help with itchy skin and dryness. When applied in a light layer over the face, this product can help reduce the appearance of enlarged pores and uneven texture.
Why People Love It: The Bare Escentuals .5 oz. 2 pack Foundation Primer will keep you looking fresh for longer. It contains vitamins C and E, antioxidants, and plant extracts to help nourish and soothe the skin.
- Goes on super easily
- Great price
- Makes skin smooth, silky, and soft
- It may be arduous to use at first, but expect magical results once you learn how to apply it.
14. bareMinerals Prime Time Brightening Foundation Primer
This foundation primer is designed to help brighten the look of skin while providing relief to itchy patches. The primer contains vitamins to offer soothing comfort for the facial skin. It also contains plant extracts and antioxidants and can be used under foundation or on its own to give the skin a healthy skin. It gives the face a healthy glow without making it look shiny.
Why People Love It: People find this primer a must-buy because it does not contain preservatives or irritants. Ideally, it gives an instant luminous glow and keeps you looking fresh for longer.
- Hides large pores
- Feels great
- Keeps makeup in place throughout the day
- The bottle seems small; otherwise, the product is great.
13. Maybelline New York Face Studio Master Prime Makeup
This budget friendly primer is from Maybelline and it offers many of the same benefits as the pricier brands. It is made of a weightless formula that is non-oily and water-based. This primer makes the face look youthful and fresh, while taking away the sheen that comes from oily skin. It also helps to prime the face to prepare it for even application of foundation and concealer.
Why People Love It: The master prime does not just hide skin imperfections but also smoothes fine lines to ensure exceptional results. Furthermore, it is water-based and non-oily.
- Super lightweight
- Perfect for oily skin
- Affordably priced
- May not be good for other types of skin
12. e.l.f Studio mineral infused face primer
This is another value priced primer that gives the skin a great look and feel without breaking the budget. It comes in a sleekly designed container that works well for travel or to keep in a purse. The formula contains minerals that help give the face a youthful look while also decreasing the appearance of fine lines. It works to fight the effects of flakiness, oily sheen and enlarged pores to give the face a smoother look.
Why People Love It: One major reason most people love this primer is that it features a sleek design that makes it perfect for travel. In addition, it is highly affordable and tested by experts to make sure it is the best.
- Unbeatable price
- Makes makeup application flawless
- Makes skin nice and smooth
- The 0.47-ounce capacity seems little.
11.Temptu Base Smooth and Matte Primer
This primer from Temptu is designed to give the face a matte look and it helps to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles to reduce their visibility. The formulation is weightless and it feels like you aren’t wearing anything at all. It can be used under makeup to help the look last longer. It can also be used on its own to give a natural look of flawless skin. It works well for those with oily skin as it doesn’t leave a residue.
Why People Love It: The Temptu Matte Primer is loved by many because it does wonders on oily skin types and does not leave a greasy residue. It also controls oil and smoothes texture.
- Goes on clear and does not clump
- Good to use under the makeup
- Keeps a flawless finish throughout the day
- The manufacturer should make the bristles less hard; otherwise, the makeup works great.
10. Clinique – SuperPrimer Universal Face Primer
The Clinique Superprimer is a product designed to work with all skin types. It works to reduce the appearance of oil on the face. It can be used alone or under foundation and concealer for a flawless look. The tube contains 1 oz of primer. The primer is made with oil-free ingredients and acts to smooth the skin to give a youthful and fresh glow without appearing greasy. It’s lightweight and provides even coverage.
Why People Love It: The Clinique 1 Ounce Face Primer is loved by many because it enables make-ups to last longer than ever before, as well as gives a natural and flawless finish.
- Provides great coverage
- Ensures long lasting makeup
- Makes a great gift idea
- A bit pricey, but it’s worth it.
9. Banila Co. Prime Primer Classic Matte
The primer from Banila Co. is designed to provide an even base for makeup to provide a flawless look to the skin. It provides a matte look that appears natural and comes in a 30 mL tube. It covers the appearance of pores and fine lines on the face and also acts to moisturize while controlling oil. It contains ingredients that have been shown to tighten skin to make it look lifted and youthful. It works well for those with oily skin or combination skin.
Why People Love It: More than a few people find the Banila Co. 30ml Prime Primer the go-to product because of its performance. Moreover, its price is not exaggerated despite its unrivaled functionality.
- Perfect for sensitive, oily, and acne-prone skin
- Makes makeup last a little longer
- May feel a little greasy, but it calms down after makeup application.
8. Paula Dorf Perfect Primer
This primer from Paula Dorf is formulated to work with normal to oily skin. It acts as a smooth base for foundation and concealer to keep makeup in place throughout even the longest days. It is designed to be applied to the face after moisturizer. The primer can also be used alone to give the face a natural look without the need of makeup.
Why People Love It: People love this primer because it keeps skin matte and reduces imperfections. By so doing, the primer keeps makeup in place for hours.
- Makes skin smooth
- Keeps skin looking poreless
- Provides great base makeup
- The primer is slightly expensive, but you get what you pay for.
7. SACHA Mattifier and Face Primer
The primer from SACHA has been specially designed to absorb excess oils to give the face a clean, matte look. It acts as a silky base for foundation to make the skin look youthful and flawless. It also is designed to last all day and extend the wear of your foundation and other makeup. The formula is lightweight and feels like you’re wearing nothing on your skin, which means it works well on it’s own to make the skin look smooth.
Why People Love It: This primer keeps face matte by absorbing excess oil. It also works on dry, combination, and oily skin. Plus it is silky soft and keeps makeup fresh-looking and in place for an extended period.
- Fast shipping
- Smells great
- Effective on all types of skin tones
- May be a bit sticky, but this does not affect its performance.
6. BECCA Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector
This primer comes from Becca Cosmetics and it’s designed to provide a smooth base for foundation and concealer. It works especially well for oily skin as it can eliminate oil for long periods of time throughout the day to keep skin looking matte. The formulation is heat and humidity resistant to prevent your makeup from messing up in hot weather. This product doesn’t have silicone, oil, alcohol or fragrance to prevent common irritations.
Why People Love It: The first reason most people love this priming perfector is that it provides a smooth matte surface. It also gets rid of the appearance of pores as well as reduces shine.
- Ideal for oily skin
- Keeps makeup looking fresh
- Lasts longer
- Putting it on properly may be arduous but once you do, expect exceptional results.
5. Smashbox 3.9 Fluid Ounce Primer Water
This primer water is transparent as well as tested by dermatologists and ophthalmologists to help ensure exceptional results. Ideally, it is designed to add radiance as well as moisturize the skin.
Why People Love It: People love the Smashbox 3.9 Fluid Ounce Primer Water because it restores moisture as well as reawakens the skin. It also works effectively on all skin types; thanks to its cruelty-free formula.
- Enables makeup to stay on really well
- Easy to use
- Does not cause irritation
- Takes quite long to dry, but looks great once it does
Featuring a patented temperature control technology, the Skindinavia 8 Fluid Ounce Finishing Spray will help prevent the appearance of your shine. Furthermore, it will keep your makeup fresh by absorbing excess oil.
Why People Love It: This finishing spray is perfect for both oily and combination skin tones. Additionally, it controls shine up to 16 hours, making sure your makeup looks fresh and flawless throughout the day.
- Works well
- Great for oily and combination skin types
- Does not make your skin dry or dehydrated
- May not be effective on other skin types
3. Bare Escentuals Original Foundation Primer
Are you tired of flaky dryness, enlarged pores or uneven texture? Then look no further than the Bare Escentuals Original Foundation Primer. It is formulated to give you the much-needed evenly textured complexion with much ease.
Why People Love It: Most people love this foundation primer because it soothes and nourishes the skin. Plus it is free of irritants and preservatives to make sure your skin feels great throughout the day.
- Great price
- Leaves the skin smooth and ready for makeup
- Hides wrinkles
- The bottle is quite small, but note that a small amount of this product does wonders.
2. Smashbox 1 Ounce Foundation Primer (Photo Finish)
Smashbox knows what does wonders for you. That’s why they are more than thrilled to introduce the Smashbox 1 Ounce Photo Finish Primer. Well, this product contains everything to make sure you get the results you have been looking for.
Why People Love It: Most customers assert that this primer is their favorite because it does not leave behind a greasy residue. Ideally, it does not irritate the skin, and this allows you to have it on for long hours.
- Fast delivery
- Gives a smooth feel
- Super light
- Quite expensive, but it is worth it.
1. BENEFIT POREfessional 0.75 oz. Face Primer
Minimize the appearance of fine lines and pores within a cinch with the BENEFIT POREfessional 0.75 oz. Face Primer. It is an innovative product formulated with vitamin E to help protect the skin from free radicals.
Why People Love It: The main reason why the BENEFIT POREfessional 0.75 oz. Face Primer is loved by many people is that it works on all skin tones as well as helps make-ups stay put.
- Makes large pores invisible
- Does not break out
- Very light
- The product is quite expensive, but you get what you pay for.
How to Choose the Best Primer for Oily Skin
- Types of primer: If you have oily skin, then you should consider mattifiers and pore minimizing primers. This is because they help absorb excess oil as well as minimize large pores.
- Brand: There are numerous brands of primers for oily skin, and it is important that you go for the best brand. Well, you can identify the best brand through customer reviews and the services they offer.
- Price: Prices of primers for oily skin vary greatly, meaning there is something for everyone. As such, set a budget that you are comfortable with, and then choose a product within this budget.
What We Recommend:
Bare Escentuals .5 oz. 2 pack Foundation Primer
There are a lot of reasons why the Bare Escentuals .5 oz. 2 pack Foundation Primer is the best on the market today. First, this product is formulated with plant extracts, antioxidants, and vitamins C & E to help soothe and nourish skin. It also enables make-ups to last longer without causing irritation.
Which is the best primer for oily skin?
The best primer for oily skin is one that can absorb excess oil to give you smooth skin. Ideally, it should not cause irritation but should enable makeup to stay in place throughout the day.
What are the best products to use for oily skin?
There are several products for oily skin. And the best ones include oil blotting sheets, face powder, sunscreen, moisturizer, facial scrub, face wash, and of course, eye makeup primer. All of these products work differently and are available at different prices.
Which primer is best?
There are 6 different types of primers, and they include makeup primer for oily skin, for normal skin, for sensitive skin, for mature skin, for dry skin, and for combination skin. Well, of these 6 types, the makeup primer for oily skin is the best since it can also work on other types of skin besides oily skin.
What does a primer do to your face?
A primer absorbs excess oil on your face; thereby, making sure it is ready for makeup. Primers also make faces smooth, so makeup can stay on for long hours.
What can you do for oily skin?
If you have oily skin, then you should consider going for a primer for oily skin. This will help make your skin smooth and well nourished.
Which cosmetic brand is the best for oily skin?
Bare Escentuals is so far the best cosmetic brand you will ever come across. It was founded in 1976 in San Francisco, California, and since then, it has continued to produce top quality products for oily skin. Most customers like its products because they are unique and available at competitive prices.
There are a lot of things to consider before you go out to buy a primer for oily skin. Fortunately, we have listed everything we think may help you land the best product. The above compilation not only talks about the top 15 best primers for oily skin but also brings you a comprehensive guideline as well as several answered questions. Well, this will equip you with enough knowledge to understand what is good and what is not good. Therefore, make sure you go through the compilation.