The best tire traction mats offer emergency traction for tires in snow, mud, ice, and sand. They are designed to give you peace of mind knowing that should your car get stuck in snow, ice, sand or mud, then they will come in handy. Ideally, with tire traction mats, you will not need to call AAA or bother a friend. Needless to say, tire traction mats are cost-effective. They also eliminate the need to carry a shovel to remove snow, which is making your car get stuck. Keep reading this piece because here is where what you are looking for lies.
View the Best Tire Traction Mats in Reviews
1. OFFROAD BOAR Foldable Auto Traction Mat Tire Grip Aid
Sticky situations will be the least of your concern if you have the OFFROAD BOAR Foldable Tire Traction Mats. They are made of a durable plastic material that enables them to stand up to all the extreme conditions. In addition, these tire traction mats boast a hexagonal honeycomb design to help increase friction. They come in a package of 2, so they can provide you with the best results ever. Moreover, they are lightweight and fold compactly to make storage and portability a piece of cake. These traction mats are designed to provide traction for snow, sand, and mud. They come in two color options, so you can easily find what will work for you.
- They store easily under the back seat
- Very lightweight yet durable
- The mats work great in sand
- They are worth the price
- The mats give drivers peace of mind knowing that they have a tool to get them out of tricky situations
- May come with a few issues, but there is a return policy
2. Maxsa 20333 Escaper Buddy Traction Mats (Set of 2)
Although these traction mats are lightweight, they are super durable to provide you with a peerless performance every time. They are innovatively designed with raised tracks, so they can provide your vehicle with the much-needed grip. They provide great traction that cannot be matched with snow, mud, sand or dirt. When you have these traction mats, all you need to do is to press lightly on the accelerator and you will be going again. The mats totally eliminate the need to tow or push your vehicle. They are made of high-impact polypropylene and they come in a set of two, so they can provide you with exceptional results. Ideally, these traction mats play a huge role in keeping you safe while you are off-roading.
- The bright orange makes them easy to see after digging them into the mud
- Great for drivers who travel off-road constantly
- The traction mats are durable and seem to hold up well
- The back side could have more treads
3. Pro-Lift C-5006 Foldable EVA Mat
The secret to lying comfortably under your car is to have the Pro-Lift C-5006 Foldable EVA Mat. It is super strong, and that’s because it is made of heavy-duty Ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA) foams. It is cleverly designed, so it can provide you with a comfortable, stable, and stationary platform, which you kneel or lay comfortably to inspect some things or do the repair. What’s more, this foldable EVA mat can be used for gardening, picnics, camping, and other outdoor activities. Although the EVA material used to make this mat is heavy-duty, it is an elastomeric material that has the enhancement in flexibility and softness. This tire traction mat folds for compact, easy storage.
- The foldable design makes it very convenient
- Great for sitting, laying, and kneeling
- Well padded to keep you comfortable throughout
- Very well made and holds up great in an auto repair shop
- The carrying handle cutout is nicely done
- A bit small
4. X-BULL Traction Tracks Sand Mud Snow Track Tire (3Gen, Black)
If you are looking for a better way to prevent the tires of your vehicle from spinning when stuck in sand, snow or mud, the X-BULL Traction Sand Mud Snow Track Tire Mats should be a frontier for you. They are made with raised tracks to ensure that the tires of your vehicle do not spin on ice, mud, sand or snow. With them, you will not need to push your vehicle or to tow it. Its design is resilient and UV stabilized, so it can hold up well to elements and provide you with long-lasting performance. The tire traction mats are perfect for off-road use. Besides, they are available in two color options, which are green and black.
- The price is right
- They hold up well to extreme use
- The carry bag the mats come with is a bonus
- The seller has a tendency to send a wrong color, but this is a lesser problem; thanks to the return policy
5. Subzero Hopkins 12501 GripTrax Traction Tool (2 pack)
Winter seasons are unpredictable. That’s why you need to have the Subzero Hopkins 12501 GripTrax Traction Tool with you always. They come in a pack of two, so they can provide you with the results you expect. Furthermore, they are designed to help you get out of any tricky situation in mud, snow, and sand. They are a product of Hopkins Manufacturing and Subzero; companies that are dedicated to producing top quality winter snow and ice tools. These manufacturers have been around for more than 40 years, meaning they have vast experience in producing top quality products. The tire traction mats are easy to use, given that you can place them in front or behind the tires for great traction.
- The seller is a good one
- They come in handy during desperate situations
- Perfect for anyone who drives virtually anywhere
- Easy to store in the trunk
- Not the best for deeper snow
6. Portable Tow Truck Tire Traction Mats, 2 Pack
One convenient way to prepare for emergency situations while on road is to have the Portable Tow Truck Tire Traction Mats. They offer emergency traction for tires in sand, ice, mud, and snow. Besides, they work with all vehicles and can be used during any season. They do not require any installation, and this makes them hassle-free, safer, and much easier to use than snow chains and tire chains. They are made of polypropylene materials; hence, they are really strong. The tire traction mats are also very light in weight, as they weigh just 2.5 pounds. Their lightweight does not, however, impact on their size. With that said, the tire traction mats measure 36 inches long.
- They stick very well underneath the tire
- They help save money on tow truck bills
- The mats work great at getting vehicles out of snow or mud
- May not be the best for heavy-duty applications
7. Maxtrax Vehicle Recovery and Extraction Device – MKII
These tire traction mats measure 46 by 14 by 14 inches and they weigh 17 pounds. In addition, they come with a lifetime warranty, which protects them from defects in materials and workmanship. They are built to last and to overcome anything they are subjected to. Their strong build quality is contributed by an incredibly tough engineering-grade nylon material. The nylon material is UV stabilized and flexible. Moreover, these tire traction mats have 6 built-in comfortable handles as well as a shovel at either end to help you remove excess earth easily and unstuck them much quicker. They are reliable cleats that sink their teeth into the tire tread and terrain under a 4WD to ensure that it does not slip back into snow, mud or sand.
- They are very easy to use
- They work great with heavy-duty vehicles
- They are super sturdy
- A convenient tool to get yourself out of a potentially frustrating situation
- Expensive, but worth it
8. SUNPIE Roll Bar Grab Handle for Jeep Wrangler
SUNPIE has designed this roll bar grab handle with convenience in mind. That being said, the roll bar grab handle fits 87 – 18 Jeep Wrangler JK, CJ, YJ, TJ, and more. The grab handle for Jeep Wrangler has a non-slip grip that helps ensure secure entering and exiting of your quad gear. It fits 2- and 4-door models and fits over universal 2” to 3” padded or unpadded sports/roll bar. Installing it is a breeze, as all you need to do is to strap it with 3 Velcro hook and loops right on the existing, tough nylon. The nylon used to make it is durable and resistant to weather to provide you with outstanding performance.
- Looks exactly like the one in the picture
- Holds up well to the weight of heavy-duty vehicles
- Provides the traction needed to drive out
- Not the most durable, but works for what it is designed to do
9. Mr. Emergency ES428 28” Rubber Snow n Mud Track
Customers all over the world are scrambling for this tire traction mat because it is affordable yet works unbelievably great. They are also going for it because it takes less than half a cubic foot of trunk space. The snow n mud track has what it takes to help you get out of tricky situations in no time. It features a molded grip design that helps provide maximum traction. And should it get dirty, simply wash it with a hose and you will have a clean tire traction mat that is more than willing to help unstuck your vehicle from mud, snow or sand. It is sturdily built to the extent that it cannot be affected by cold temperatures to -20 or hot sand.
- Folds in half for easy storage
- The pieces are held together with a thick wire
- Comes with a carrying case
- The grip is not the strongest, but it delivers when it matters
10. OFFROAD BOAR New Recovery Track Tire Ladder 4WD
A tire traction mat that can be used upside down as a shovel to remove excess materials from around the tires is a great one. That’s why we believe that these track tire ladders for 4WD will be a great purchase. With them, you will not need to tow or push your vehicle. This is because they offer a quick, easy, simple and safe 4WD recovery from slush, snow, mud, and sand. What’s more, these tire traction mats come with a carry bag for easy storage. Plus they are available in multiple colors including Blue, Black, Orange, Olive, and Green. These tire traction mats are made of reinforced strong nylon for durable performance.
- Clears a substantial amount of sand from all the tires
- The carry bag makes the mats easy to store
- The price is inexpensive
- The board appears to be well constructed
- The quality of the bag could be better
Buyer’s Guide for the Best Tire Traction Mats
The following factors should be considered before buying a set of tire traction mats.
Tire traction mats must really be sturdy and heavy duty if they are to deliver. Having said that, go for those made of super strong materials such as engineering-grade reinforced nylon and durable polypropylene.
To avoid inconveniences, consider tire traction mats that are universal. In other words, go for tire traction mats that work with all vehicles and tires. Remember, choosing a tire traction mat that is compatible with the tire of your vehicle will go a long way as far as getting the best results is concerned.
Size matters when choosing a set of tire traction mats. Therefore, be keen to settle for a brand with a perfect size for your tires. This does not, however, mean you go for overly large mats that will be difficult to carry around.
Your tire traction mats should not be left behind at any given moment. So, to be able to carry it easily, ensure you go for those that are lightweight and foldable. Also, if you can, go for those that come with a carry bag for easy storage and optimum portability.
Sometimes you can get really stranded by the roadside. Imagine having your car stuck in snow/mud in an unknown place with poor network reception, it can be quite frightening, right? Well, it is because of such reasons that make tire traction mats a must-have, especially if you constantly drive virtually anywhere.